Saturday, March 29, 2008

Meatloaf "Cake"


This is a great quick recipe that is almost as fun to make as it is to eat it!
Growing up I don't really remember my mom making Meatloaf. If she did, it wasn't often. (mom you can correct me on this if I am remembering wrong!) A few years ago I made Meatloaf for Mike and Christina and it was so yummy, I have been making many versions of it since. I really never follow the same recipe. I guess it depends really on what I have on hand. I do have a great recipe that comes from Alton Brown and his Good Eats Show. However this time I haven't gone grocery shopping so I didn't have the onion, bell pepper or carrot on hand. But I did have a salsa I recently made, so I used that instead. That is what is great about Meatloaf. Use whatever spices or vegetables you have on hand to give it that needed kick. Sometimes I even use oatmeal in it. Basically, you need 2 pounds ground meat. (beef, pork, turkey, sausage or a combination), an egg, and some kind of bread crumbs. Then go for it on the spices and veggies. I like to add some kind of tomato juice. Whether its ketchup, tomato juice (V-8), salsa or tomato sauce is up to you. I like it moist and this really helps. Another way my kids like it is to put one big scoop of meat mixture into muffin pans and bake. They like their own "muffin meatloafs" This is also a great way to spice Mike, Christina's and mine up, but not the boy's.



*Note this is Alton Browns version of meatloaf. Its a great base.

6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg

For the glaze:

1/2 cup catsup
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme.
Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture.
Place this mixture into a large bowl.
Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl.
Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed.
Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture.
Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt.
Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.
Pat into 2 greased 9in square pans.
Bake for about 20 - 30 min until meat is browned and thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Cool for 10 minutes


Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey.
Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile make your mashed potatoes.

Normally I cube them and cook till soft, then add milk, or chicken broth and mash them.
Today I didn't have potatoes so I used the boxed potato flakes.

After meatloaf has cooled for 10 minutes remove meatloaf by inverting one pan onto a serving platter.
"Ice" meatloaf with some mash potatoes.
Invert 2nd pan on top.
Cover the rest of the meatloafs with mash potatoes.
Use ketchup and mustard to decorate the 'cake'.
Be Creative!!!! Have fun!!!!






No comments: