Friday, August 20, 2010

Welsh Rarebit

I made this today for Mikes and my lunch. Mike claimed that this is his new fav cheese sauce and next time I need to double or triple it and he will use it as a dipping sauce. This would also be good on macaroni.


2 TB unsalted butter
2 TB all-purpose flour
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (I just shook it in, but I think I used a bit more than 2 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup porter beer (I had Mike go buy Guiness)
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cup shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar
2 drops hot sauce (I used alot more than 2 drops, more like a tsp, but we like it a little spicy)
4 slices toasted rye bread

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.
Cook, whisking constantly bringing it to a light golden brown
Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until smooth.
Add beer and whisk to combine.
Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth.
Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
Add hot sauce.
Pour over toast and serve immediately.

No comments: