Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fried Plantains

I bought plantains over a week ago. They were green. I waited until the skins were almost completely black because that is when the insides have the most sugary flavor.
I wasn't sure what the boys would think of these, but I know Christina and I have made them in the past and enjoyed them. I fried 4 plantains. Caleb LOVED them. Christina had 6 friends over, and they all smelled 'something' cooking, so they started drifting into the kitchen. It is a good thing I kept a separate plate for the boys and us, or we wouldn't of gotten any. Her friends LOVED them, and ate the rest of them.

Fried Plantains

4 Plantains very very ripe. The blacker they are, the more flavorful they are
3 Tbs butter

salt

sugar
cinnamon

Peel plantains and slice them into 1/4 thick rounds
melt butter in skillet
place plantains in butter
cook on one side until a dark golden brown. (if they get a little burnt even better, more flavor)
turn them over and cook on other side until dark golden brown.

Put them on a plate and sprinkle with EITHER salt OR cinnamon and sugar.
(the kids liked the ones with cinnamon and sugar the best)

No comments: